Saturday, December 8, 2007

Inner Glow


Until recently the persimmon I have seen at the market have been pale, short, and unattractive. I came upon a beautiful bunch a few days ago and was excited to paint them. This arrangement came quickly and the painting fell into place (just as my last one did). The hardest part was getting the shadow color (cad orange medium with burnt sienna) to have enough opacity. I laid a burnt sienna ground and covered it with a thin mix of raw umber, ultramarine, and white. If you look closely some of that warm ground glows through the light overcoat in a very subtle way. It took me longer to set up the arrangement and my equipment than it did to actually paint it. This is 8x6", oil on canvas panel for $80. Please visit my blog and website. Thanks.

No comments: